A Note:

6/2/13

I once told myself: IF I am accepted into grad school, this blog would no longer be updated. As it turns out, in April, I received news of my acceptance for the Fall 2013 semester, where I will attain a Master's degree of Science in Nutrition.

Running a blog, as many of you may already know, is a demanding side job once the excitement wears off. And once I fell out of the blogging community's loop (have you SEEN how many blogs there are now? Wow!), it was like the kiss of death. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't get into a blogging routine once this happened due to the disconnect I felt from the community.

So I took a break. I struggled with the loss and with missing my blog. And then I realized I didn't have to run Book Faery to still be a book reviewer; I could read my books and post reviews online. I'm still a book review blogger, just not in the traditional sense.

I'll still be online. You can chat with me on Twitter, where I'll be posting links to my reviews and talking books. I'll also be posting links to nutrition articles. And if you'd like to connect with me where I guarantee I will post reviews, just add me as a friend on Goodreads.

So that's all, folks! It's been a fun and amazing journey, and I thank you all for listening to my thoughts about books. I hope we all can keep in touch elsewhere :)

Tori

Friday, April 6, 2012

Alice's Review: Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Released: 29 March 2011 (UK)
Paperback: 309 pages
Price: AU$16.99
Publisher: Atom Books
Source: Book Depository
Genre: YA, Action, Paranormal
Series: Chronicles of Nick
Series Order:
1. Infinity (my review)
2. Invincible
3. Infamous 
Summary:
When teenager Nick Gautier was saved from almost-certain death by a mysterious warrior, he had a feeling his life was set to change. Fighting the undead has taken the place of fighting with his teachers (well ...almost).

But just when he thought things couldn't get any worse, he wakes up to find himself enslaved in a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul. He's being groomed by the darkest of powers and if he doesn't learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them ... 
My Rating:
 
Be warned, there are a few spoilers below. 
My Opinion: So this starts off right where Infinity left off - which is when Nick saw Kyrian had fangs - and proves to be a compelling, fast-paced read. There's a lot of paranormal stuff going on and Nick finds out more about his powers and who he really is. There is also the enigma of Ambrose, who you'll know is Nick, several hundreds years into the future it seems, since Ambrose mentions how he's lived centuries.

And I must make a note of my previous observations in Infinity - since Ambrose is trying to change his future, of course things will be vastly different than they are in the Dark-Hunter chronology, so Nick meeting Simi isn't a mistake on Sherrilyn's part because Nick wouldn't have been in trouble with demons if it weren't for Ambrose and Simi wouldn't have had to help him! A big facepalm at my previous obliviousness! 

I feel like this book delivered a lot of paranormal action but not a lot of the parts I wanted to really read about, like Nick's job with Kyrian, Acheron, Cherise and his day-to-day life, if that makes sense. But I'm pretty sure that only a week or so has passed in this book, so I guess there isn't enough time to write about the secondary characters! I was disappointed that I missed out 'seeing' too much of Acheron and more of my other well loved characters, but this is focused more on Nick, who I love, so it was a pretty good deal!

Nick is super sarcastic and some of the things he says are quite hilarious! But because he's so sarcastic and never too serious, he has this inability to really grasp the seriousness of a situation. An example of this would be when he's been taught to use his powers by Grim, one of the MODs (Messengers of Death). He's just too flippant about it and I know he's only fourteen and it's in his personality to be like that (hello, I've read about what he's like in the DH novels) but it kind of annoyed me.

Okay, so I want to talk about Ambrose. Gosh, he's such a mystery to me! He's lived for so long and only now does he start trying to change his past. Why? What's happened to him in the centuries that have passed? My heart breaks for him and my feelings on his intentions to change his past are varied; for one, I don't believe in regretting anything for too long and since you technically can't change the past in real life, it's better to move on. But I do realise why he's trying to do this and how the good of the world and his life depend on it. I definitely want to read more about him!!

My verdict: I couldn't put this down and with such a cliffhanger ending, it makes me happy that the third book has been released! Filled with action, sarcasm, a little bit of romance and awesomeness, this book is just as good as the first.

3 comments:

  1. Great review Tori, I never wanted to read this spin off series, especially as the Nick in here is not the same as the Nick in there. But with you (and others) so enthusiastic about it, I am starting getting doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bit awkward - I reviewed this, not Tori! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really love to read this & Sherrilyn Kenyon is one favorite authors os yeah going this book as soon as i can...

    ReplyDelete